Home Forums IVF Frequently Asked Questions Infertility Due to Being Underweight

9 replies, 10 voices Last updated by  Prerona Ghosh 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

SaRA
    Participant
    @saurab015

Studies have shown that being underweight could cause you to have troubles becoming pregnant. The main reason being women who are underweight may not ovulate, have a menstrual cycle, or enough fat for proper hormonal balance. For some people who are underweight it can seem difficult to put on weight and keep it on. Here are some tips to help you to gain weight the healthy and fertile way.

How to find out if you are underweight:
    An easy way to find out if you are underweight is to find out your Body Mass Index using a BMI calculator. If you are in the range of 19 – 24, your weight is considered healthy. Having a BMI less than 19 is a signal that you are underweight. There is only one thing you can do to increase your BMI, eat more food. By focusing on eating a fertility diet that is geared for healthy weight gain, you will be well on your way.
    Track your diet for three days before you start your program; this is how you will find out what your current calorie consumption is. Record the number of calories, protein, carbohydrates, and fats for your foods recorded in your food diary. My favorite tool for finding out the details of each food is the USDA Nutrient Data Base. You can search online or download the USDA SR18 nutrient-finding program in to your computer or PDA.

You may be surprised to find out that you are not eating as much food as you had previously thought. To find out how many calories you need to eat in order to gain weight, use a handy body calculator. It will outline how many calories, carbs, fats, and proteins you need to eat a day. Your initial goal is to gain 1 – 2 lbs. a week.

Neha
    Participant
    @neha5

Infertility Due to Being Underweight. … The main reason being women who are underweight may not ovulate, have a menstrual cycle, or enough fat for proper hormonal balance. For some people who are underweight it can seem difficult to put on weight and keep it on.
    The affects of weight vary with each individual; it isn’t an issue unless it disrupts ovulation and the menstrual cycle. If a woman has a low BMI, has a sufficient diet, and doesn’t exercise excessively, it generally means that she is naturally thin and fertility problems are minimal concerning weight. However, the Southern California Reproductive Center found that if a woman had a low BMI because she followed a rigorous workout routine and had an insufficient diet, she will have difficulty with fertility.

Trinity
    Participant
    @Trintyster

Your subject is one that I must give my input. Weight about fertility is a curious thing; too much or too little can contribute to fertility problems. Having a low Body Mass Index (BMI) provides to 12 percent of all infertility cases. In this segment, we’re going to go over how being underweight is thought to affect the ability to conceive.
    Weight in connection to infertility can be a curious thing to tackle. A low Body Mass Index (BMI) can lead to infertility. However, a low BMI accounts for only 12 percent of the reported infertility cases. Many causes can be attributed to the inability to conceive.
    The fact that one is underweight doesn’t mean they are infertile. Effects of weight tend to vary from individual to individual. It only becomes an issue if it happens to disrupt your ovulation and menstrual cycle. In case one has low BMI, is on an adequate diet, and they don’t excise in excess, it means they are thin, and thus fertility problems will be minimal concerning weight. However, if a woman has a low BMI due to following a rigorous training regime and had deficient diet, they will end up having infertility problems.

onnafenite
    Participant
    @onnafenite

“Oh God, your husband seems like a really nice person. You know what my mom used to say whenever us sisters would get a boy like him on a date… She would say two words… “”Marry Him””, lol.

And considering you have already done that and now that your family is missing one last happiness (a baby), I would strongly recommend going with the surrogacy option. It’s safe, serene, and scientifically proven process.

You said your husband’s daughter used to go abroad… I think I have an idea where she’d go… What? How do you know her? Well, maybe I’m with CIA, huh! Just kidding. I am guessing so because there is one world-famous clinic in Ukraine that’s where most of the people I know who chose surrogacy, had visited and now have their surrogate babies.

Unfortunately, as others said since your egg is not valid, the baby will genetically be of your husband. But I don’t think you should worry about that.

Let me know if you need any further details about that clinic, I can ask my girls for you and let you know.

Stay blessed, stay hopeful!”

inajoddes
    Participant
    @inajoddes

“Thanks for the useful insights. Ladies, hear Sara… she is so right about this.

A couple of years back, after my marriage, I always thought that I’m too weak to give a birth. (thank God, I was able to do that anyway, but whenever I’d think about it, I always got frightened to death) so I understand how it feels.

First things first – eat healthy food and take a care of yourself. But, for those ladies, who carry underweight issue in their genes, there still are many other options, so don’t get disappointed. One of the best I know of is surrogacy. Let me know if anyone needs more details about it… would be happy to help.”

iddejevu
    Participant
    @iddejevu

“Hi, all! Thanks for an interesting post. My best friend is a famous gynecologist and during my times of pregnancy, she’d always tell me that a little overweight or underweight don’t bother you but if the mother’s BMI is <19 or 24>, she may have difficulty getting pregnant.
    I also have seen myself and heard from my others that being underweight (or overweight) can affect how likely you are to be able to conceive.
    Follow your nutritionists advise very strictly and eat as much that the baby and your body both are getting enough nutrition but still don’t get your BMI over 24.
    Stay healthy!”

Diana
    Participant
    @Diana

Hi dear!
    It is true that weight and infertility are related in a way. Having too much or too little body mass index can contribute to infertility. The trouble is that very few women understand how being underweight and overweight could affect one’s ability to conceive. For starters, it is important to understand that being underweight will not affect fertility in all women. In fact, an ideal weight varies from one woman to another. If being underweight affects a woman’s ovulation and menstrual cycle, then it is likely to impact on a woman’s fertility. Thus the whole idea is centered on Body Mass Index of a woman. Notice that even where a woman has a low BMI but eats a balanced diet and does not engage in excessive exercises, it means that the woman is generally thin and therefore her weight may not affect her fertility. Studies done at the Southern California Reproductive center found that a woman with a low BMI because of following a rigorous workout and does not have sufficient diet, she is likely to have difficulties with fertility. In a nutshell, the BMI could be used to suggest how fit a person is. A normal BMI falls between 18 and 25. If your BMI is lower than 85% of a normal BMI, then you are likely to be infertile. Thus, it may be difficult for you to conceive when you are underweight. Remember it is in fats that the body stores and utilizes the estrogen. So if the fat level is not enough, there will be too little estrogen which diminishes ovulation and menstrual cycle. Thus, if you are TTC, ensure that you accumulate some body fats. You should also avoid excessive exercises.

lilly8987
    Participant
    @lilly8987

I agree with some of your points but being infertile due to underweight is not a problem in this modern age anymore according to me. You can go for surrogacy and get a child of your own through it and live a happy life. You can look up for BioTexCom on google and find out about many many procedures that can get you pregnant without spending much. They do not just focus on getting you treated but also provide you with many facilities such as free food, accommodation, and transportation.

jazz
    Participant
    @jazz

Hi ladies?My husband and I have been trying for a baby for eight months now. I had one miscarriage at 4 weeks gestation. Since then, no luck what so ever. Although I was highly upset and discouraged because of my miscarriage, I hold faith in my heart that my husband and I will be parents one day. Everyone tells me it will happen when we least expect it. It also helps a lot when you have a great doctor that you trust. I love my OBGYN and trust him wholeheartedly with this aspect of our lives. Any concerns you have you should be able to tell them to your doctor and get his or her opinion. There are several things that can throw off a woman’s body and change the chances of her conceiving. Stress and constant anxiety about conceiving is also a factor. Just relax. I don’t know how old you are but the woman has babies every day and long into their lives. Try to relax and just enjoy trying. I know it can be a highly upsetting time in a woman’s life…..especially when there are unexpected problems. If you are overweight, that could be a factor. Talk to your doctor about some of the underlying problems that cause infertility in overweight woman. Same goes if you are underweight. I have frequent vaginal infections, this could also be a factor. If the ph of a vagina is too high or low. vagina could actually be killing the sperm before they even have a chance at reaching an egg. Another thing for is to went to the doc to check is to see if you are actually ovulating.

Prerona Ghosh
    Participant
    @prerona

Dear Sara, Thank you so much for this valuable information. There isn’t enough of this as most people think that being overweight in pregnancy is only an issue. Being underweight causes a lot of complications that need to be addressed, just as you have done. Please continue to post informational pieces like this as they are very much useful and appreciated. Thank you so much again, and please take care of yourself too and good luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active