Home Forums IVF Frequently Asked Questions Reasons for a failed IVF

25 replies, 21 voices Last updated by  Veronica smith 4 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

SaRA
    Participant
    @saurab015

A failed in vitro fertilization, or failed IVF, can be the result of poor embryo implantation, poor ovarian response, uterine infection or other problems with the uterus. It also may be caused by trauma that occurs to the embryo during the procedure. The patient’s immune system also might mistake the embryo for something bad in the body, causing a failed IVF much the same way the body might reject an organ transplant. Understanding theses causes is important in preparation for the next cycle.

Kelly
    Participant
    @Kelly123456

I also experienced an unsuccessful IVF in the attempt, however, if your clinic offers unlimited attempts then, you are golden. My clinic (BIOTEXCOM) did, in fact, offer unlimited attempts
    Regarding the reasons, they are lost on me
    I hope it helps

kate
    Participant
    @kate45

I had no idea, that the immune system can mistake the embryo for something bad in the body! Though I had heard about poor ovarian response causing failed IVF, but this something I am learning new today that poor embryo implantation can be a reason for failed IVF. How do I prepare myself to avoid these complications?

Linda
    Participant
    @linda421

I was fortunate enough to have gone through the IVF cycles without any complications. I think it was because of the skilled doctors, that they were really careful about very step in the IVF cycle. I can only leave it up to the doctors when it comes to embryo implantation as there;s hardly anything I could do. So, I believe, getting the right consultation and knowing everything about yourself will give you a sense of relief before going into the process.

kate
    Participant
    @kate45

I hope when I go for my IVF, I go through it sucessfully like you, linda. I don’t know why this is, but I get scared easily and worried when I read posts like this one. I had gone through another post where they had raised concerns about the side effects of IVF, and that had got me worried too. You see, I am trying to find the right clinic as I have been advised by the doctor for IVF. And it has been a roller coaster for me. I come across some really inspiring story/post and then something that makes me rethink my decision. I really hope everything works out well for me. I and my husband are really hopeful about all this.

Linda
    Participant
    @linda421

Do not panic, kate. I understand what you are going through. And let me tell you that it is but natural to feel anxious and nervous before your IVF cycles. Stay calm and keep believing. You are lucky you have a supportive husband who is hopeful about your journey. I can tell you from my experience that if you have support from him, you can get through all the procedures involved in the treatment easily without any stress. And, if you ever feel nervous or doubtful about anything, do tell me. I am here to support you with everything you want to know. Stay positive.

Jessica
    Participant
    @Jessicaj

Thanks Sara for sharing such important information ………. 🙂

Brylee
    Participant
    @Brylee

IVF treatment is an emotional, physical and financial roller coaster ride. There are 3 basic reasons for IVF failure. The first is that embryo(s) transferred to the uterus were “incompetent”. The second reason is an underlying implantation dysfunction that prevents the embryo from properly attaching to the uterine lining. The third reason relates to the technical difficulty in the performance of embryo transfer, which is a rate limiting factor.

Neha
    Participant
    @neha5

Female Age
    As we are very familiar with, your likelihood of getting pregnant as you get older decreases over time. Since each woman is born with a certain number of eggs, as you age, you use those eggs up. Your likelihood of a live birth after IVF is greater the younger that you are. Some studies show that the likelihood of a live birth after IVF for a woman age 35 is around 32 percent, but only 16 percent for a woman who is 40. Of course, this is not a guarantee that IVF won’t work for your particular case.

Embryo Quality
    Embryo Quality can be another contributing factor to IVF failure. Some embryos have genetic or chromosomal abnormalities that can make them too weak too work for IVF. Still other embryos don’t have enough cells to survive and are less likely to fertilize. There are quite a few things that can contribute to embryo quality which can eventually lead to IVF failure

Ovarian Response
    Sometimes a woman’s ovaries just do not respond properly to the IVF medications that try to get the ovaries to produce multiple eggs. If you already have a reduced number of eggs, are over 37, or have elevated FSH levels, it might be harder for your body to respond properly to IVF medications. In short, if your body listens to the medication and produces more eggs, your IVF is likely to be successful. If it doesn’t, then your chances that the IVF will fail are greater.

Implantation Issues
    Implantation issues are probably the most common reason that IVF treatment fails.Most of the time when implantation issues occur, it is simply because the embryo stops growing and through no fault of anyone. If there are polyps or cysts on the ovaries, this can also be a contributing factor to implantation issues. Some research even suggests that chromosomal abnormalities that can cause implantation issues in embryos can be present in as many as 50% of cases!
    These are the four most common reasons that IVF treatment fails. Just because you experience a failed IVF attempt doesn’t meant that you should give up trying to get pregnant. That is not the case at all. You do need to reevaluate and make sure that you are happy with your doctor, your clinic and the services that you are receiving before attempting again. Also, talk candidly with your doctor about what he or she thinks might have went wrong and if there is anything that you or your partner can do to help things go smoothly the next time around. The most important thing is to stay positive and don’t give up!

Rose
    Participant
    @Arose

Hi ,
    Thank you so much for shedding light on what can cause failed IVF. It is true that poor embryo implantation is the number one cause of failed IVF. I know it is a delicate process that requires diligent and cares. The equipment used by the doctor must also meet the standards otherwise it can also interfere with the transfer and the subsequent implantation. Also, the female age may also determine whether the embryo gets implanted or not. The ability of the uterine to form a lining that can allow the embryo to get attached to it is critical. Thus, the younger the mother, the greater the chances that IVF will succeed. Let me also add that the quality of the embryo itself is a determining factor. It should have the right genetics and chromosomes to avoid chances of miscarriage. Lastly, ovarian response to IVF. In summary, implantation failure occurs when the embryo stops growing. It may be contributed to some factors ranging from human error and biological errors.

Darcy
    Participant
    @Darcy

Before going to surrogacy I tried the IVF. But it failed. I was unable to get pregnant. But, anyway, I’m glad that I tried it. Now I know that it wouldn’t work for us. Now our surrogate is pregnant and it makes me happy. Despite this I understand that IVF helps a lot of women to get pregnant. And it’s great. Infertility is an awful disease. And I’m glad that modern medicine can fight it.
    Thank you for sharing this info, Sara. I’m sure it is useful for many women. We all should know how to face the infertility. It could be great if you could share the reasons of infertility. Is it possible?

Kathleen
    Participant
    @kathleenlinda

I have experienced my 3 cycles of IVF with little complexities but successful. My neighbor had 3 unsuccessful cycles of IVF. She then moved for surrogacy and become a mother. I am thankful to you for such a great information. I many times thought to search for the exact failures of IVF. I was unaware with many things you explained. Keep posting such information’s. Take care.

tanny
    Participant
    @tammy

Well, I have some knowledge about failed IVF implants. Let me share it. Embryo exchanged to the uterus was “bumbling”. In most cases, this is because of a sporadic number of chromosomes in the developing life. In the rest of, is because of hereditary or sub-atomic incipient organism variations from the norm. The second reason is a basic implantation brokenness that keeps the fetus from legitimately joining to the uterine lining. The commonest foundations for this include, a thin endometrium at the pinnacle of estradiol incitement. Surface injuries that project into the uterine depression that make a nearby antagonistic condition that avoids implantation. Immunologic brokenness that outcomes in implantation disappointment.

kendall
    Participant
    @kendall

Hey Sara, how do you do? I am so much thankful to you for such a great information. I was searching for some of this since I am working on this forum. Btw I never knew some of the written information. Like I never knew that immune system makes some mistake with the embryo. I would love to know that how many children do you have? Have you been through IVF? Or are you a doctor? I love sharing and listening to the fertility stories or infertility treatments. I will keep this information in my mind. I must share this to the surroundings as well. Again, Thanks a bunch!! Stay Blessed. Take care dear.

jennifer anit
    Participant
    @jenifer

Hi Sara. Your post is full of information. By the way, it is a very promising post. None the less, women here are searching for more information. Your post will help them a lot. I also agree with all the things you have told. Cycles can be different for each one of us. It depends upon the nature of a body. I have seen a few IVF failures. The reason behind is less knowledge about the process. Women should always be careful while opting IVF. This process is not successful all the time. So it can cause a few problems in case of its failure. So do consult your doctor before you do so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

@

Not recently active